You are packing to travel to Tanzania, but because of the differences, sockets and voltages will be wondering if you will be able to use your electrical equipment when you are there or not. In this article, we will cover all the different Tanzania’s power Plug type, power voltage, and some information about the travel adapter.
The Electricity in Tanzania:
- Tanzania wall Outlet Voltage : 230V
- Tanzania standard frequency : 50 HZ
- Tanzania power Plug Types : C,D and G
The power plugs and sockets in Tanzania:
In Tanzania the power plugs and sockets are of types C, D and G. Check out the following pictures:
Type C: This plug socket has two round pins.
Type D: Is the plug type which has three rounds pins in a triangular pattern. Is mainly used in Sri Lanka, India, Nepal and some of the African countries. This plug socket only works with the plug type D.
Type G: Is the plug socket which has two flat parallel pins and a grounding pin. This plug type is of a British origin. This socket only works with plug G.
The voltage and frequency in Tanzania:
The standard voltage in Tanzania is 230 V and the standard frequency is 50 Hz. And you can use your equipment in Tanzania, if the standard voltage in your country is the range of 220 V – 240 V as is in the United Kingdom, Europe, Australia and most of Africa and Asia.
Otherwise, if the standard voltage in your country is between 100 V – 127 V which is common in the United State, Canada, and most South American countries, you will need a voltage converter in Tanzania.
But, if the standard frequency is different than the frequency in your home country we do not advise you to use your devices in Tanzania. If the voltage is the same (230V) it is possible to use at your own risk your equipment for a short time.
The travel adapter in Tanzania
If you are thinking to travel to Tanzania, it is useful to know if you can use your electronics equipment such as a mobile phone or tablets when you’re there, likely to bring the wrong charger. And the difference of voltages and frequency can all lead to confusion when planning to travel to another country especially for the first time traveler. But if you are staying in a hotel and you have a problem to get an adapter you can simply call the hotel and request a reservation.
The following information for travels who are living in the United Kingdom:
- You need a travel adapter (plug adapter) for a trip from the United Kingdom to Tanzania.
- Tanzania uses plugs of type D and G. And the plug sockets of type G, which are common in the United
- Kingdom, are only partially used in Tanzania.
- The voltage is equal to the 230 volts in the United Kingdom. And this means that you can use all your
- appliances without any problems.
- The frequency is the same as in the United Kingdom. So it is safe to use all your equipment in Tanzania.