Canada power plug adapter type

    If you are planning to travel to Canada, it can be useful to know in advance if you will be able to use your vital electronics that you are bringing along with you. Without knowing which wall socket is being used you may bring the wrong power adaptor, thereby leaving you needing to purchase a suitable charger when you are there. The different voltages and sockets can often be confusing when planning on traveling to another country especially if you’ve never visited before. With only a handful of different types of common standards used throughout the world, this article tells you exactly what you will need in advance to charge your electronics in Canada during your travel.

Electricity in Canada

  • Power plugs and sockets are of type A and B.
  • The standard voltage is 120 V and the standard frequency is 60 Hz.

Power plugs and sockets in Canada

     The power plugs and sockets used in Canada  are of type A and   B. Check out the following pictures:

  • Type A: This type of plug is mainly used in Central and North America, Japan, and traveling. This socket only works with plug A
  • Type B: This type is like type A with an extra prong for Grounding and this socket also works with plug A.

The voltage and frequency in Canada

     the standard voltage in Canada is 120 V and the frequency is 60 Hz, and you can use your electric appliances in Canada, if the standard voltage in your country is between 110 – 127 V (as is in the US, the most South American countries and Canada ).

Be careful if you bring appliances from Japan (100 V), the standard voltage in your country is in  220 – 240 V (as is in the UK, Europe, Asia, Australia, and Africa ), you need a voltage converter in Canada. Some say you can carefully try to use your appliances in Canada without a converter. Most likely they won’t be damaged, but may not function optimally. If you don’t want to take any chances, use a converter.

The Adapter in Canada

  The European plugs are not compatible with Canadian electrical sockets.

When plugging in your electric appliances, you will need a plug adapter or a converter. You will not be able to use your electric appliances during your Canadian Travel (phone charger, camera charger, laptop, etc.)  . The adapter enables a visitor from the other countries to use electrical appliances in Canada simply by changing the shape of the plug from one type of shape to another.

All majority of the Hotel’s receptions could have a power adapter for sale. The availability is normally limited in the hotels and not have the exact type required for your country. If you have this problem, call ahead to the hotel first and request a reservation and the needed adapter will be found in your room on arrival.

Leave a Comment